Insurance for your private and unadopted roads

The Place for Private Road Insurance Help and Advice

Insuring my private road

Hi and welcome to Private Road Insurance.  We specialise in helping to find Insurance Cover for individuals as well as residents associations and management companies that are responsible for insuring any of the following:

So if you need expert advice we can provide a tailor made policy for your needs.

We hope that you find all the information that you need, but if you still have questions or need to speak to us then please contact us.

If you own a private road but are unsure whether you need private road insurance, then please read the following as it will provide you with the information you need on private road insurance.

Get a free quote

Do I need to insure my private road?

Legally no, but we believe it is an absolute must that you have at least Public Liability/ Property Owners Liability for your Private Road.  For the cost of a small annual premium it will not only give you piece of mind, but provide cover in the event of a third party putting in a claim against you.

What is Private Roads Insurance?

There are many roads in the UK that are considered private roads, or unadopted roads, which are usually jointly owned by the people that live (or own property) on that road.  These are roads that are not owned by the local authority and are therefore the responsibility of the owner, or joint owners who must keep the land not only properly maintained but are responsible for insuring the road.  Often a residents association is formed to do this if the road is jointly owned by a larger group of people and that the road is not insured.

What is Public Liability Insurance?

Do I legally have to insure my private road?

No, not legally.  But it is your duty of care to ensure that you have the relevant insurance to cover the eventuality of a claim made by a third party.  Whether the road is easily accessible by the public or not, it is a good idea to make sure you have public liability insurance which will provide cover for a claim.

Click for a free no-obligation quote

What if my private road has electric gates or barriers?

If you have barriers or electric gates on your private road then you can also get cover to protect these from damage (for example a car driving into a barrier and damaging it).  This will result in a small additional premium, but will protect your equipment against any damage or injury claims as well as piece of mind.

Okay, so what next?

Since all private roads are different (different location, different sizes etc) it is not possible to give an exact amount on how much private road insurance will cost, so in order to obtain a fast quote that is tailor made for your specific road the best and fastest way is to complete our quote form. If you prefer speaking to someone then you can call us on 01872 484025.  We will get back to you as soon as possible to discuss your needs.

If you require insurance for your business, then our parent company, Towan Insurance can assist as a Commercial Insurance Broker.


Avon | Bedfordshire | Berkshire | Borders | Buckinghamshire | Cambridgeshire | Central | Cheshire | Cleveland | Clwyd | Cornwall | County Antrim | County Armagh | County Down | County Fermanagh | County Londonderry | County Tyrone | Cumbria | Derbyshire | Devon | Dorset | Dumfries and Galloway | Durham | Dyfed | East Sussex | Essex | Fife | Gloucestershire | Grampian | Greater Manchester | Gwent | Gwynedd | County Hampshire | Herefordshire | Hertfordshire | Highlands and Islands | Humberside | Isle of Wight | Kent | Lancashire | Leicestershire | Lincolnshire | Lothian | Merseyside | Mid Glamorgan | Norfolk | North Yorkshire | Northamptonshire | Northumberland | Nottinghamshire | Oxfordshire | Powys | Rutland | Shropshire | Somerset | South Glamorgan | South Yorkshire | Staffordshire | Strathclyde | Suffolk | Surrey | Tayside | Tyne and Wear | Warwickshire | West Glamorgan | West Midlands | West Sussex | West Yorkshire | Wiltshire | Worcestershire


AB | AL | B | BA | BB | BD | BF | BH | BL | BN | BR | BS | BT | BX | CA | CB | CF | CH | CM | CO | CR | CT | CV | CW | DA | DD | DE | DG | DH | DL | DN | DT | DY | E | EC | EH | EN | EX | FK | FY | G | GIR | GL | GU | GY | HA | HD | HG | HP | HR | HS | HU | HX | IG | IM | IP | IV | JE | KA | KT | KW | KY | L | LA | LD | LE | LL | LN | LS | LU | M | ME | MK | ML | N | NE | NG | NN | NP | NR | NW | OL | OX | PA | PE | PH | PL | PO | PR | RG | RH | RM | S | SA | SE | SG | SK | SL | SM | SN | SO | SP | SR | SS | ST | SW | SY | TA | TD | TF | TN | TQ | TR | TS | TW | UB | W | WA | WC | WD | WF | WN | WR | WS | WV | YO | ZE

This site,, has been created and provided by Cobalt Online. We are an independent marketing website and are not authorised to give advice. We are not liable for any advice provided by, or obtained through a third party. The information published on this website is for information purposes only.

Care has been taken to ensure that the information is correct, but we neither warrant, represent nor guarantee the contents of information, nor do we accept any responsibility for errors, inaccuracies, omissions or any inconsistencies herein. We do not give personal advice and the information provided is only to provide an overview of the areas of finance. Anyone considering taking any action may wish to seek advice from an Insurance Broker registered with the Financial Conduct Authority. We cannot be held liable for any losses incurred.