Material Damage Insurance

So what is Material Damage Insurance and how does it relate to my Private Road or Land?

Material Damage Insurance indemnifies your private roads common parts, usually providing what is called ‘All Risks Cover’ for the Private lanes Fences, barriers, lampposts, street furniture, walls, gates, and bollards etc.

You may need this cover if you have buildings you want to insure on your land or unadopted road.

In the event of damage caused by things such as flood, fire, earthquake, and damage by a third party, the loss caused will be covered under the Material Damage section of your Private Roads Insurance Policy.

What if property on my Land or Private Road is Damaged or Destroyed?

Basically in the event that the property that is insured under the Material Damages Private Road or Land section of the policy is damaged or destroyed during the period of insurance, then the insurers will pay the value of that property (the value paid will often be the value at the time of loss) or will replace the property (or part of the property).  The idea is to put you back to where you were before the time of loss.

private lane needs insuranceWhat about Machinery?

When it comes to machinery, then if you are responsible for the repair and maintenance, you will want to get this covered under your policy, but it is important to get Engineering Inspection and also consider Engineering Insurance.  You can read more about this cover here.

Will my Field or Private Lane Material Damages Insurance have an excess?

The Material Damage section of your Land or Private Road Insurance Policy will be subject to an excess, which basically means that you will pay for the first pre-agreed amount before a payout from a claim is made.

What is excluded under a Private Road/Private Lane or Land policy?

Damage to property caused by repair or maintenance will not be covered, nor will any goods that are seizes by government authorities.

If you would like to chat to us about Material Damage Cover or any other aspect of insurance for your land, private road, private lane or private driveway then please go to our contact page.

If you have Employee’s then you are also legally required to have Employers Liability Insurance.  You can read more about this by clicking here.

To go back up to our Types of Insurance page, click here.

This site,, has been created and provided by Cobalt business generation. We are an independent marketing website and are not authorised to give advice. We are not liable for any advice provided by, or obtained through a third party. The information published on this website is for information purposes only.

Care has been taken to ensure that the information is correct, but we neither warrant, represent nor guarantee the contents of information, nor do we accept any responsibility for errors, inaccuracies, omissions or any inconsistencies herein. We do not give personal advice and the information provided is only to provide an overview of the areas of finance. Anyone considering taking any action may wish to seek advice from an Insurance Broker registered with the Financial Conduct Authority. We cannot be held liable for any losses incurred.